Jurisprudence Course Test
For information and to register online please visit: www.professionaltesting.ca
Jurisprudence Course Handbook
Please click below to access the handbook.
If you would like to obtain a hard copy of the jurisprudence course handbook, please complete and return the Jurisprudence Handbook Order Form along with the payment.
Amendments to the Jurisprudence Course Handbook
***New update to page 34 of Jurisprudence Course Handbook (September 2013)***
Please note that the footnote to page 34 should read:
"They are: chiropody, chiropractic, massage therapy, nursing, occupational therapy, physiotherapy and dentistry. Naturopaths regulated under the Drugless Practitioners Act have their own exemption and will be added to the list when the new College is fully established. There are members of other Colleges, such as traditional Chinese medicine and physicians, who can perform acupuncture under the authorization of their profession-specific Acts. "
***Correction to page 41 of Jurisprudence Course Handbook***
Please note that the second last paragraph to page 41 should read:
"Again, the report must be made in writing to the Registrar of the College to whom the alleged health care provider belongs. The report has to contain the reporting practitioner's name and the grounds of the report. Under this mandatory reporting obligation the name of the patient can be included without the patient's consent, so long as it is not involving sexual abuse. The report must be made within thirty days of receiving the information. If it appears that patients are continuing to be harmed, the report must be made right away.
For Grandparented Applicants Lacking in English Language Fluency:
Jurisprudence Course Accommodation Plan
The purpose of the Jurisprudence Course is to provide information on the ethical and legal framework within which TCM Practitioners and Acupuncturists are expected to practice in Ontario.
According to the Registration Regulation, Grandparented applicants must have successfully completed the Jurisprudence Course set or approved by the Registration Committee. A Grandparented member who is unable to speak, write and read English with reasonable fluency must practice the profession in accordance with a written language plan approved by the Registration Committee to ensure effective communication with patients, their continuity of care and inter-professional collaboration.
The Registration Committee at its meeting held on August 13, 2013 approved a plan to accommodate Grandparented registration applicants who are lacking English language fluency, to successfully complete the Jurisprudence test with interpreter assistance. The requirements and the process are set below.
Eligibility to Apply for Accommodation
Applicants for Grandparented registration may apply for special accommodation to complete the Jurisprudence Course on condition that they meet the following criteria:
- The applicant declared on his/her registration application that he/she cannot speak, read or write English or French;
- The applicant has submitted to the College a written language plan that clearly explains:
(1) how he/she intends to communicate with patients, other health care professionals and the health care system in English; and
(2) how he/she intends to improve his/her English language fluency;
- The applicant agrees to complete the Jurisprudence Course by following the accommodation process stipulated by the Registration Committee.
An applicant accepted to complete the Jurisprudence Course through the accommodation process will be expected to:
- FIRST, Review with the assistance of his/her interpreter, at his/her own pace:
(a), the Jurisprudence Handbook published by the College (available on College website www.ctcmpao.on.ca); and
(b) the DVD on legal counsel, Richard Steinecke’s presentation which outlines the legal principles contained in the Jurisprudence Handbook (the DVD will be provided to approved applicants. Copyright of the DVD belongs to the College);
- THEN, Sit the open-book multiple choice Jurisprudence Test, bringing his/her own interpreter to help in interpretation of the questions which will be in English. The applicant will be required to successfully complete the test to demonstrate his/her understanding of the content of the Jurisprudence Course Handbook in order to be considered for Grandparented registration. Application Fees $226.00 ($200.00 + 13%HST) (Cheques to be made payable to CTCMPAO).
Approved by Registration Committee on August 13, 2013
Jurisprudence Course Accomodation Plan
If you would like to apply for hte Jurisprudence Course Accomodation Plan, please email the College at: email@example.com
In order to view and print the docutments on the website, you must have the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer. Please follow the instructions to install the free Reader on your computer.