On May 13, 2017, a panel of the Discipline Committee of the College of Traditional Chinese Medicine Practitioners and Acupuncturists of Ontario (CTCMPAO) found that Mr. Phillip Tran committed acts of professional misconduct in that he:
- Sexually abused a patient;
- Performed an unauthorized controlled act,
- Contravened a standard of practice of the profession;
- Contravened a standard of practice of the profession by failing to keep appropriate records;
- Used an unauthorized title, "Dr."; and
- Engaged in conduct or performed an act relevant to the practice of the profession which, having regard to all the circumstances would reasonably be regarded by a member as disgraceful, dishonourable, or unprofessional.
Penalty and Cost Order
On September 6, 2017, the panel imposed the following penalty and costs order that:
- The Registrar be directed to revoke Mr. Tran’s Certificate of Registration;
- Mr. Tran appear before the Panel to receive a public and recorded reprimand;
- Mr. Tran reimburse the College for funding for therapy and counselling for the victim, and that Mr. Tran post $16,060.00 for security for this purpose, in a form acceptable to the College.
- Mr. Tran pay $105,000.00 to the College in respect of the hearing costs.
The complete Decision and Reasons is available through the following links below:
Decisions and Reasons
Decision on Penalty and Costs
Should you have further questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.